WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: U.S. Virgin Islands

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2020

What happens if I move?

If you move from the U.S. Virgin Islands to another U.S. territory or state (or vice versa), your permanent restraining order can be enforced even if you move to another territory or to the United States.  If you move, your order must be given “full faith and credit” in any other state, territorial or tribal court,1 which means that your order will be good wherever you go.

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

1 18 U.S.C §§ 2265, 2266