For purposes of this article:
(1) “Complainant” means a victim of a criminal offense that occurred in this State, a competent adult who resides in this State on behalf of a minor child who is a victim of a criminal offense that occurred in this State, or a witness who assisted the prosecuting entity in the prosecution of a criminal offense that occurred in this State.
(2) “Conviction” means a conviction, adjudication of delinquency, guilty plea, nolo contendere plea, or forfeiture of bail.
(3) “Criminal offense” means an offense against the person of an individual when physical or psychological harm occurs, including both common law and statutory offenses contained in Sections 16-3-1700, 16-3-1710, 16-3-1720, 16-3-1730, 16-25-20, 16-25-30, 16-25-65 and 23-3-430; criminal sexual conduct offenses pled down to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature; domestic violence offenses pled down to assault and battery or assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature; and the common law offense of attempt, punishable pursuant to Section 16-1-80.
(4) “Family” means a spouse, child, parent, sibling, or a person who regularly resides in the same household.
(5) “Respondent” means a person who was convicted of a criminal offense for which the victim was the subject of the crime or the witness who assisted the prosecuting entity in prosecuting the criminal offense.
(6) “Victim” means:
(a) a person who suffers direct or threatened physical, psychological, or financial harm as a result of the commission or attempted commission of a criminal offense; or
(b) the spouse, parent, child, or lawful representative of a victim who is deceased, a minor, incompetent, or physically or psychologically incapacitated.
“Victim” does not include a person who is the subject of an investigation for, charged with, or has been convicted of the offense in question; a person, including a spouse, parent, child, or lawful representative, who is acting on behalf of a suspect, juvenile offender, or defendant, unless such actions are required by law; or a person who was imprisoned or engaged in an illegal act at the time of the offense.(7) “Witness” means a person who has been or is expected to be summoned to testify for the prosecution, or who by reason of having relevant information is subject to being called or likely to be called as a witness for the prosecution, whether or not any action or proceeding has been commenced.