WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania


View all
August 3, 2021

Can I file to modify my custody order while the other parent is deployed?

The court cannot change a custody order while one parent is absent due to military duty (deployment).1 If the parent who is not on military duty files a petition to change custody, the court is not permitted to modify or amend the custody order that was in effect on the date of deployment. However, if it is in the child’s best interest, the court is permitted to enter a temporary custody order while the parent is deployed.1

1 51 Pa.C.S.A § 4109(a)