40-15-103. Notice of rights when partner or family member assault is suspected.
(1) Whenever a patient seeks health care and the health care provider suspects that partner or family member assault has occurred, the health care provider, outside the presence of the suspected offender, may advise the suspected victim of the availability of a shelter or other services in the community and give the suspected victim immediate notice of any legal rights and remedies available. The notice must include furnishing the suspected victim with a copy of the following statement:
“The city or county attorney’s office can file criminal charges against the offender if the offender committed the offense of partner or family member assault.
In addition to the criminal charges filed by the state of Montana, you are entitled to the civil remedies listed below.
You may go to court and file a petition requesting any of the following orders for relief:
(1) an order of protection that prohibits the offender from threatening to hurt you or hurting you;
(2) an order of protection that directs the offender to leave your home and prohibits the offender from having any contact with you;
(3) an order of protection that prevents the offender from transferring any property except in the usual course of business;
(4) an order of protection that prohibits the offender from being within 1,500 feet or other appropriate distance of you, any named family member, and your worksite or other specified place;
(5) an order of protection that gives you possession of necessary personal property;
(6) an order of protection that prohibits the offender from possessing or using the firearm used in the assault.
If you file a petition in district court, the district court may order all of the above and may award custody of your minor children to you or the other parent. The district court may order visitation of your children between the parents. The district court may order the offender to pay support payments to you if the offender has a legal obligation to pay you support payments.
The forms that you need to obtain an order of protection are at _______________. You may call ____________ at _______________ for additional information about an order of protection.
You may file a petition in district court at _____________.
You may be eligible for restitution payments from the offender (the offender would repay you for costs that you have had to pay as a result of the assault) or for crime victims compensation payments (a fund administered by the state of Montana for innocent victims of crime). You may call ____________ at _____________ for additional information about restitution or crime victims compensation.
The following agencies may be able to give you additional information or emergency help. (List telephone numbers and addresses of agencies other than shelters with secret locations and a brief summary of services that are available.)”
(2) Partner or family member assault may be suspected by health care workers in circumstances in which a patient repeatedly seeks health care for trauma type injuries or a patient gives an explanation for injuries that is not consistent with the injuries that are observed.
(3) For purposes of this section, “health care provider” has the meaning provided in 50-16-504.