WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Mississippi

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 19, 2023

Step 1: Go to court and request the forms for a protective order.

You can file a petition for a protective order in a municipal, justice, county, chancery, or state military court. However, a petition that includes a request for emergency relief (i.e., an immediate ex parte temporary order) pending a hearing shall not be initiated in the chancery court – go to one of the other types of courts instead.1

You can find a court near you by going to our MS Courthouse Locations page. Find the civil court clerk and request a petition for a permanent protective order, and also tell the clerk if you want a temporary order for immediate protection. Usually you apply for these at the same time. You can find links to petitions online by going to our MS Download Court Forms page.

1 MS Code § 93-21-7(2)