WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Mississippi

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
December 19, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in Mississippi?

Generally, the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You likely cannot have this done by a court in Mississippi.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Mississippi, you may be able to get a new one issued in Mississippi but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Mississippi. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Mississippi, visit our MS Protective Orders page.