WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Mississippi

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
December 19, 2023

How do I register my protective order in Mississippi?

To register an out-of-state (foreign) protection order, you must present a certified copy of the order to the chancery clerk’s office of any county in the state.  You also have to file an affidavit, which says that you truthfully believe the order is still in effect.1  After the order is registered, the clerk will give you a certified copy of the registered order.

The process for registering your order might be different in a justice court, so you might want to contact a local domestic violence organization in Mississippi for assistance.  To find an advocate at a local program, please visit the MS Advocates and Shelters page under the Places that Help tab at the top of this page.

1 MS Code § 93-22-9(1), (3)