Legal Information: Missouri


May 9, 2022

Can the non-custodial parent have access to the child's records?

Both parents have the right to access records and information pertaining to a minor child including, but not limited to, medical, dental, and school records unless a parent has been denied custody rights or visitation rights for reasons explained in Can a parent who committed domestic violence, child abuse, or sexual assault get custody or visitation?

If the parents want the schools to send two sets of report cards, progress reports, etc., one for each parent, then the school can charge the parents an administrative fee to cover the costs.

If the non-custodial parent has been granted restricted or supervised visitation due to committing domestic violence, or if you are enrolled in Missouri’s Address Confidentiality Program, the judge can order that the reports and records created as part of the custody case and the school records, such as report cards, must exclude your home address.1

1 MO ST §§ 452.375(12); 452.376

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.