Legal Information: Maryland


October 18, 2022

At what age can a child ask the court to change the custody order?

If the child is 16 years or older, s/he can file a petition to ask the judge to change the custody order. The child does not need a parent or guardian to file the petition. The judge will hold a hearing and may decide to place the child with the parent s/he requests but does not have to.1

1 Md. Code, Fam. Law § 9-103

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.