WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maryland


Laws current as of November 27, 2023

If the judge agrees that there is a risk my child will be abducted, what will the judge do?

After holding a hearing in which the judge will consider evidence of the abduction risk factors, the judge can decide to issue an abduction prevention order.1 An abduction prevention order can include one or more of the following:

  1. travel restrictions that require that the other parent to give you the following documents:
    • a travel itinerary of the child;
    • a list of physical addresses and telephone numbers at which the child can be reached at specific times; and
    • copies of all travel documents;
  2. a restriction that the other parent cannot do any of the following directly or through another person:
    • remove the child from the State, the United States, or another geographic area without permission of the court or your written consent;
    • remove or keep the child in violation of the custody order;
    • remove the child from school, daycare, or a similar facility; or
    • approach the child at any location other than a site designated for supervised visitation;
  3. a requirement that a parent register the abduction prevention order in another state before the child is allowed to travel to that state;
  4. with regard to the child’s passport:
    • a requirement that you place your child’s name in the United States Department of State’s Child Passport Issuance Alert Program;
    • a requirement that the other parent surrender to the court or to your attorney any United States or foreign passport issued in the child’s name, including a passport issued in the name of both the parent and the child; and
    • a prohibition against the other parent from applying on behalf of the child for a new or replacement passport or visa;
  5. before exercising custody or visitation, a requirement that the other parent:
    • give an authenticated copy of the order detailing passport and travel restrictions for the child to the United States Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues and the relevant foreign consulate or embassy, and provide proof that this was done to the court;
    • provide an acknowledgment to the court from the relevant foreign consulate or embassy that no passport application has been made, or passport issued, on behalf of the child;
    • give you proof of registration with the United States Embassy or other United States diplomatic presence in the other country and with the Central Authority for the Hague Convention, if the Convention is in effect between the United States and the other country; and
    • provide to you and the court a written waiver under the federal Privacy Act with respect to any document, application, or other information pertaining to the child that allows the information to be given (disclosed); 
  6. if you request it, a requirement that the other parent get an order from the other country that has identical terms to the child custody order that was issued in the United States;2
  7. a limit on visitation or a requirement that visitation is supervised and paid for by the other parent;
  8. a requirement to post a bond or provide other security in an amount sufficient to serve as a financial deterrent to abduction; then, if there is an abduction, that money would be used to pay for the reasonable expenses to get your child back and your attorney’s fees; and
  9. a requirement that the other parent get educated on the potentially harmful effects to the child from an abduction.3

If the judge believes an abduction is about to happen (is “imminent”), the judge can:

  • issue a warrant to take physical custody of the child;
  • direct law enforcement to take any action reasonably necessary to locate and get the child or enforce the custody order; or
  • grant any other relief allowed by law.4

1 Md. Code, Fam. Law § 9.7-108(b)(1)
2 Md. Code, Fam. Law § 9.7-108(c)
3 Md. Code, Fam. Law § 9.7-108(d)
4 Md. Code, Fam. Law §§ 9.7-108(e); 9.7-109(a)