WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maryland


November 10, 2020

Can the child ask the court to change the custody order?

Yes. If the child is 16 years or older, s/he may file a petition (ask the judge) to change the custody order. The child does not need a parent or guardian to file the petition. The judge will hold a hearing and may decide to place the child with the parent s/he requests (but does not have to).1

1 Md. Code, Fam. Law § 9-103