WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.
Legal Information: Illinois
What is the definition of a family or household member?
A family or household member includes a:
- spouse or ex-spouse;
- boyfriend or girlfriend, or someone you date or used to date;
- parent, step-parent or grandparent;
- child or step-child;
- person who you have a child in common with, even if you have never been married to the other parent nor lived together;
- person who you share or allegedly share a blood relationship with through a child (such as your child’s grandfather);
- person related to you by blood or by your present or former marriage;
- person who you live with or have lived with in the past; and/or
- your personal assistant or caregiver if you are disabled.1
1 750 ILCS 60/103(6)
© 2008–2020 WomensLaw.org is a project of the National Network to End Domestic Violence, Inc. All rights reserved. This website is funded in part through a grant from the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the U.S. Department of Justice nor any of its components operate, control, are responsible for, or necessarily endorse, this website (including, without limitation, its content, technical infrastructure, and policies, and any services or tools provided). NNEDV is a 501©(3) non-profit organization; EIN 52-1973408.