WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Idaho


January 15, 2021

What happens if I make an allegation of child abuse against the other parent?

If you allege that the other parent committed child abuse or child sexual abuse, the judge is supposed to order the Department of Health and Welfare to conduct an investigation. That investigation must be conducted within thirty days. A final award of custody or visitation generally won’t be made until the judge receives the report from the investigation.1 However, since it can be hard to prove child abuse or child sexual abuse, and there can be negative repercussions if the judge doesn’t believe you, you may want to consult with a lawyer about the best way to present your allegations to the court.

1I.C. § 32-717C