WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Hawaii

Restraining Orders

View all
January 11, 2024

Can I get my order for protection from Hawaii enforced in another state?

If you have a valid Hawaii order for protection that meets federal standards, it can be enforced in another state. The Violence Against Women Act, which is a federal law, states that all valid orders of protection granted in the United States receive “full faith and credit” in all state and tribal courts within the U.S., including U.S. territories.1  See I have a temporary restraining order (TRO). Can it be enforced in another state? to find out if your order for protection qualifies.

Each state must enforce out-of-state orders for protection in the same way it enforces its own orders.  In other words, if the abuser violates your out-of-state order for protection, s/he will be punished according to the laws of whatever state you are in when the order is violated. This is what is meant by “full faith and credit.”

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265