I tried to rent / buy property and I was turned down because I am a domestic violence victim. Is this legal?
It is illegal for anyone to discriminate against you due to the fact that you are a current or former domestic violence victim. The following are some examples of the actions that are illegal:
- interrupting, terminating, or refusing to start or continue any real estate transaction;
- requiring different terms, conditions or restrictions for a real estate transaction;
- falsely representing that a house or apartment is not available;
- refusing to lend money, guarantee a loan, provide title insurance, etc. or to place different conditions on you when doing these actions;
- refusing or restricting services, facilities, repairs or improvements for a tenant.1
1 D.C. Code § 2-1402.21(a)