WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Colorado


View all
Laws current as of October 13, 2023

I am not the child's parent. Can I get parental responsibilities of the child?

A person other than a child’s parent can file a petition seeking parental responsibilities of a child in the county where the child permanently resides or in the county where the child is located if:

  • the child is not in the physical care of one of the child’s parents;
  • the petitioner has had physical care of the child for a period of 182 days or more (and, if applicable, the petition must be filed within 182 days of the termination of that physical care); or
  • the petitioner has been granted custody of a child or has been allocated parental responsibilities through a juvenile court order.1

1 C.R.S. § 14-10-123(1)(b)-(d)