WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Colorado


View all
October 13, 2023

Will my child get a lawyer appointed to represent his/her interests?

When awarding allocation of parental responsibilities, the judge can appoint a lawyer to serve as the legal representative of the child. It is the legal representative’s responsibility to represent the best interests of the child with respect to custody, allocation of parental responsibilities, child support, the child’s property, parenting time or any other issue related to the child that is identified by the legal representative of the child or the court.1

Either or both parents may have to pay the fees of the child’s legal representative unless the parent(s) are determined to be indigent (poor), in which case the state will pay the fees.2

1 C.R.S. § 14-10-116(1), (2)
2 C.R.S. § 14-10-116(3)(a)