WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Wyoming

State Gun Laws

February 8, 2021

I do not have an order of protection against the abuser, and s/he has not been convicted of a crime. Can s/he have a gun?

Under Wyoming state laws, there are other circumstances aside from being convicted of a crime or having an order of protection against you under which a person can lose the right to own a gun but it only applies to guns that are manufactured in Wyoming and kept in Wyoming at all times, which falls under a law called the Firearms Freedom Act (FFA).The FFA makes it illegal for someone to have or buy one of these Wyoming-made guns that are always kept in Wyoming if any of the following apply:

  1. s/he is currently considered legally incompetent by a judge in a court order;
  2. s/he is or has been committed to a mental institution; or
  3. s/he is under 18, for a rifle or shotgun, or under 21, for a handgun.1

Even if none of these apply, you can still make a plan for your safety. See our Safety Tips page for more information. You can also contact your local domestic violence organization for additional help. You may want to talk to them about whether leaving the area - either long term or for a little while - might help improve your safety. See our WY Advocates and Shelters page to find a local domestic violence organization near you.

Also, federal laws, which apply to all states, restrict an abuser’s right to have a gun under other circumstances. Go to Federal Gun Laws to get more information.

For additional information on gun laws in Wyoming, you can go to the Giffords Law Center website.

1 WY ST § 6-8-404(c)

I've read through all of this information, and I am still confused. What can I do?

Trying to understand both federal and state law can be confusing, but there are people out there who can help you better understand the law and your rights under the law.

  • You can contact the National Center on Protection Orders Full Faith & Credit to get more information about the federal firearm law and how it applies to you: 1-800-903-0111, ext. 2.
  • You can contact a local domestic violence organization in your area – see our WY Places that Help page.
  • You can write to our Email Hotline.