Legal Information: Connecticut


December 28, 2022

Can I get alimony?

Alimony is financial support paid by, or to, your spouse and can be awarded when a divorce, legal separation, or annulment is granted. If you request alimony and the judge decides to award it in your case (or if you and your spouse agree that it should be ordered), the order can be for either an indefinite period of time (with no specific end date), or it can be a time-limited award (with a specific end date).1 In addition, it’s possible to get temporary alimony (known as pendente lite) while the case is going on (in addition to temporary child support and temporary “exclusive use” of the family home).2

If the parties do not agree upon alimony and it is up to the judge to decide, the judge will hear evidence presented by you and your spouse and consider certain factors to determine a fair amount to award. These factors include, but are not limited to:

  • the length of the marriage;
  • the cause of the divorce, legal separation, or annulment;
  • the age, health, education of both spouses; and
  • the economic status, occupation, amount and sources of income, earning capacity, work skills, employability, estate and needs of you and your spouse.1

Note: If you have been granted custody of your children, then the judge will also consider how desirable/reasonable it is for you to become employed (if you are not working).1

1 C.G.S. § 46b-82(a)
2 C.G.S. § 46b-83(a)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.