Places that Help: Delaware

Sheriff Departments

June 3, 2016

Before a protection order can take effect, it must be served upon the abuser. In Delaware, the county family court generally arranges for service of protection orders, though the state police can serve the orders in cases where the court is unable to do so.  Although in most states, protection orders are served by the sheriff departments, the Delaware sheriff departments generally only serve out-of-state orders. You can contact the clerk of the court in the court that issued your order to find out the exact procedure for service in your county if you are unsure. For a list of Delaware courts, check the DE Courthouse Locations page on our site. Listed below are telephone numbers and addresses for sheriff departments and state police troops in Delaware. You may be able to find more up-to-date listings for state police departments on the Delaware State Police website.


New Castle