Legal Information: Wisconsin


October 5, 2021

I am the child's relative. Can I get visitation?

The judge may grant reasonable visitation rights to a grandparent, great-grandparent, step-parent or person who has had a relationship that is similar to a parent-child relationship with the child. However, the parents must have notice of the court hearing so that they can come to court to give their opinion as to whether visitation should be granted. The judge will grant visitation to the relative if the judge decides that visitation is in the best interest of the child.1

Whenever possible, in making a decision about visitation, the judge will consider the wishes of the child.2

Note: Any person who interferes with visitation rights may be held in contempt of court.3

1 Wis. Stat. § 767.43(1)
2 Wis. Stat. § 767.43(2)
3 Wis. Stat. § 767.43(5)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.