WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Virginia


December 4, 2020

Can I change the state where the case is being heard?

If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where the custody case is being heard (sometimes known as a “change of venue”).  However, if there has been a lot of court dates for your case already or if the other parent objects to the case being moved, this might make it harder to transfer the case.  Generally, the judge hearing the case will need to be involved in this decision.  This is a complicated issue, so it may be best to contact a lawyer if this applies to you.  For more information on changing a final custody order in a different state, go to the Changing a final custody order section on our non-state-specific Custody page

To find organizations that provide legal help in Virginia, please see our VA Finding a Lawyer page.