Legal Information: Maine

Housing Laws

November 10, 2017

What documents or proof do I need to give my landlord to get out of my lease if I am a victim?

If you are the victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking and wish to end your lease, you must provide specific notice and documents to your landlord. If your lease is for a period of time of less than a year, you must provide seven days’ written notice. If your lease is for a period of a year or more, you must provide your landlord with thirty days’ written notice. In addition, you must provide one of the following forms of documentation:1

  • a statement signed by a Maine-based sexual assault counselor or victim witness advocate;
  • a statement signed by a health care provider, mental health care provider, or law enforcement officer; (Note: If the provider or officer is licensed, s/he must include his/her license number on the statement);
  • a copy of a protection from abuse complaint, temporary order, or final order of protection;
  • a copy of a protection from harassment complaint, temporary order or final order of protection from harassment;
  • a copy of a police report taken in response to an incident of domestic violence; or
  • a copy of a criminal complaint, indictment or conviction for a domestic violence charge.2

1 ME ST T. 14 § 6001(D)
2 ME ST T. 14 § 6001(H)