WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Louisiana


Laws current as of November 21, 2023

Can I keep my insurance coverage even though my abusive spouse was the policyholder?

If you are a victim of domestic abuse and you are covered under your spouse’s policy, you may be able to convert that insurance coverage to your own policy for you and your dependent children once you get a judgment of divorce legal separation from the abusive spouse. The converted policy is supposed to provide the same benefits, including deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments, as the policy from which coverage is being converted.1

In order to convert the coverage to your own individual policy, you should:

  • notify the health insurance company that you want to convert your spouse’s policy into your own individual policy within 30 days of receiving the notice of termination of the policy; and
  • provide the health insurance company with a copy of the divorce decree or separation order.1

1 LA R.S. § 22:1078(C)