Legal Information: Louisiana


November 21, 2023

If my child was conceived as a result of rape, can the offender get any rights to my child?

If your child was conceived through a “sex offense” as defined in section 15:541(subsection 24) of the law, the offender who committed the offense cannot get any visitation rights or contact with your child.1

If there was an actual criminal conviction against the offender of a “sex offense” that resulted in the conception of your child, then this conviction could be grounds to legally terminate the offender’s parental rights.2 Whereas usually the state files to terminate someone’s parental rights, in this case, you have the right to file the termination of parental rights petition in court yourself. If the offender’s rights are terminated, it will result in the loss of custody, visitation, contact, and other parental rights of the offender regarding the child. However, the child would still keep any inheritance rights that could come from the offender.3

1 LSA-C.C. Art. 137(A)
2 LSA-C.C. Art. 1015.1
3 LSA-C.C. Art. 1004.1

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.