WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Places that Help: Alabama

Sheriff Departments

October 21, 2020

Before a protection order can take effect, it must be served upon the abuser. In most states, protection orders are served by the sheriff department. You can contact the clerk of the court in the court that issued your order to find out the procedure for service if you are unsure. For a list of Alabama courts, check the AL Courthouse Locations page on our site.To find the contact information for sheriff departments listed by county, you can go to the Alabama Sheriffs Association. (WomensLaw.org is not affiliated with that website.)