Places that Help: Alaska

Sheriff Departments

August 30, 2020

Before a protection order can take effect, it must be served upon the abuser. In most states, protection orders are served by the sheriff department. However, in Alaska, there are no sheriff departments but rather peace officers generally service protective orders. Peace officers are designated police officers or state troopers. You can contact the clerk of the court in the court that issued your order to find out the procedure for service if you are unsure. For a list of Alaska courts, check the Alaska Courthouse Locations page on our site. To find the contact information for peace officers throughout Alaska you can go to the Alaska Village Public Safety Officers Contact Directory website. ( is not affiliated with that website.)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.