WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Federal


View all

How can I get lawful permanent residency without my spouse's help?

There are many different ways you can try to get lawful permanent residency without a spouse’s help. VAWA, the Violence Against Women Act, is a federal law that allows you to ask for lawful permanent residency all on your own. U-Visas are another way you can try to get lawful permanent residency. There is a long list of other possibilities that are complicated. They are listed below. See What are other legal options? In all cases, you should seek the help of an immigration lawyer. If you cannot afford to pay an attorney, you may qualify for free or low-cost legal aid. Contact the nearest legal services office or an immigration organization. Please, go to International/Immigration organizations under National Organizations, under Places that Help.

You may also email us and we’ll try to help find someone to help you. Please, write to our Email Hotline