WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all

I am a refugee. Can I receive welfare and Medicaid?

During the first five years after arriving in the United States, refugees are eligible for Food Stamps, Temporary Aid to Needy Families, Medicaid, and other public benefit programs to the same extent as US citizens.

Most refugees who have been in the United States for five years or more will no longer be eligible for these benefits.

If you are a refugee who has been here for five years or more, you may still qualify for some assistance based on the laws in your state.