WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

About Abuse

In the Workplace

April 12, 2015

Can I file a complaint with the government? Can I sue the employer?

If you believe you have been a victim of sexual harassment, one of the options you may want to look into is filing a charge of discrimination with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You may also want to know that in certain circumstances, an individual, organization, or agency may file a discrimination lawsuit against the employer on behalf of the victim to protect the victim’s identity.1

Note: There are time limitations for filing a charge but the time limits vary depending on a variety of factors. To read more, go the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) website’s page called Time Limits For Filing A Charge.

1U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) website