En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Colorado

UPDATED September 18, 2017

Moving to Another State with a Protection Order

Print this page
View All

If you are moving out of state or are going to be out of the state for any reason, your protection order can still be enforceable.

Getting your Colorado protection order enforced in another state

back to topHow do I get my protection order enforced in another state? 

Federal law does not require you to take any special steps to get your protection order enforced in another state.

Many states do have laws or regulations (rules) about registering or filing of out-of-state orders, which can make enforcement easier, but a valid order if protection is enforceable regardless of whether it has been registered or filed in the new state.* Rules differ from state to state, so it may be helpful to find out what the rules are in your new state. You can contact a local domestic violence organization for more information by visiting our State and Local Programs page and entering your new state in the drop-down menu.

* 18 U.S.C. § 2265(d)(2)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topDo I need a special copy of my protection order to it enforced?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your Protection Order. A certified copy says that it is a "true and correct" copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. In CO, a certified order has a stamped seal on it.

The copy you originally received may or may not be a certified copy, depending on the county in which it was issued. If your copy is not a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk's office for a certified copy. The court may charge a small filing fee to get a certified copy of a CO protection order.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children's school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work. Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.


Did you find this information helpful?

back to topCan I get someone to help me?  Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your Protection Order enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to. A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your Protection Order, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state you are moving to, select your state from the Where to Find Help tab on the top of this page and then click Finding a Lawyer.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topDo I need to tell the court in Colorado if I move?

No. The abuser may attempt to modify (change) or vacate (cancel) the Protection order. However, it is unlikely that the court will change or cancel the order just because they cannot locate you. Instead, the court will most likely dismiss the abuser's request. If you do decide to provide your new address to the Court, you may want to request that it be kept confidential. But remember that confidential records may be accessible to certain court officials or law enforcement officials. If you feel unsafe giving your address, you may give the address of a trusted friend or a P.O. Box.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top