En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Where to Find Help

UPDATED February 19, 2009

State and Local Programs (Shelters)

Print this page
Rape crisis centers, shelters, and other local programs can help you.

Shelters are a great first stop for anyone thinking about leaving an abusive relationship, starting a legal action against an abuser, figuring out a plan to stay safe, or even just trying to sort out whether your partner's behavior is abusive. 

Please remember that  "shelters" provide many other services besides shelter.  Most have support groups, crisis counseling, and safety planning assistance.  Many also provide legal support (and sometimes representation), help getting back on your feet with government benefits like food stamps and housing, job training referrals, child care, and more.

Rape crisis centers often provide crisis intervention, short and long-term counseling, and support groups.  Their advocates can also often go with you to the hospital and/or court. 

If the organization nearest you isn't helpful, try calling another one.   If you do not find what you need in your community, you may also call these national organizations:
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline -- 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline -- (800) 656-HOPE
  • Stalking Resource Center -- 1-800-FYI-CALL, M-F 8:30 AM - 8:30 PM EST, or email gethelp@ncvc.org