WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

Can I file a motion to change or terminate my order for protection?

To modify (change) your order, go back to the court where you got it and file a petition with the clerk. The judge can modify or terminate (end) a protection order if you (or the abuser) files a motion asking for the judge to do so.1

If you file a motion asking the judge to modify or terminate your order, the respondent must be personally served with your motion and notice of the hearing at least 5 days before the court date unless the judge has allowed the abuser to be served by publication or by mail. Then there will be a hearing where the judge will hear from both sides and will decide whether or not to give you what you requested.2

1 R.C.W. § 26.50.130(1)
2 R.C.W. § 26.50.130(5), (7)