Legal Information: Vermont

Restraining Orders

View all
March 29, 2017

What happens if the abuser violates the order?

If the abuser violates the order, you may wish to report it to the police by dialing 911 and/ or you may wish to file a contempt petition in court.  If the abuser violates a temporary or final order, s/he can be held in civil contempt and/ or prosecuted for criminal contempt.  S/he may be imprisoned, fined or both.*  Note: For criminal contempt, the maximum fine is $1,000 and the maximum prison time is 6 months.**

For other ways to stay safe, please see our Safety Tips page.

* VT ST T. 12 §§ 5134(d), 5133(j)
** VT ST T. 12 § 5138