WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Utah

Restraining Orders

View all
November 19, 2020

Where can I get a stalking injunction?

You can file a petition for a stalking injunction at the district court where you live, where the stalker lives, or where any of the stalking events occurred.1

1 UT ST § 78B-7-701(1)

Can a minor get a stalking injunction?

If you are a minor, you can file a petition on your own (with your parent or guardian present), or a parent/guardian can file one for you.1

1 UT ST § 78B-7-701(1)

What are the steps to get a stalking injunction?

The steps to get a stalking injunction are similar to the steps to get a cohabitant protective order. Unlike a cohabitant abuse protective order, however, if you are granted an ex parte stalking injunction, that injunction can remain in effect unless and until the stalker requests a hearing to object to the order. The stalker can request a hearing within ten days of being served with the ex parte injunction.1 If the stalker does not request a hearing within the ten days, the ex parte injunction automatically becomes a civil stalking injunction and will be in effect for three years.2

See the Utah Courts website for the relevant forms for filing a petition for a civil stalking injunction. On the petition, you are the petitioner. You must include your address, as well as the name and address of alleged stalker (respondent). Note: If you do not want your address written on your petition, let the court staff know when you file your petition. Your address can be kept on a separate document which will not be released to the stalker. You must also describe the events and dates of the stalking, as well as any police reports, letters, or other information relevant to the events.4

If you have any questions, you can call the clerk of court. You can find the contact information for your clerk on the UT Courthouse Locations page. An advocate at a local domestic violence program may also be able to assist you with the paperwork. You can find contact information for local programs on the UT Advocates and Shelters page. Also, if you want to get legal advice and/or representation at the hearing, you can find legal referrals on our UT Finding a Lawyer page.

1 UT ST § 78B-7-701(4)
2 UT ST § 78B-7-701(6)
3 UT ST § 78B-7-701(2)