Legal Information: Tribal

Abuse in Tribal Communities

View all
March 12, 2010

Where can I file for a protection order?

You may file for a protection order in the tribal court, Court of Indian Offenses (CFR Court), or state court, depending on what court system is in place on your reservation.

If you do not live in Indian Country or if your tribe does not have a tribal court or Court of Indian Offenses, you can go to the state court nearest you and ask the court clerk how you can file for a protection order. You will find a list of courthouse contact information on this website on the "Courthouse Locations" page for each state.