Selected State Statutes: South Dakota
21-65-4. Rights of vulnerable adult in action brought by substitute petitioner
If a substitute petitioner files a petition pursuant to § 21-65-2 on behalf of a vulnerable adult, the vulnerable adult retains the right to all of the following:
(1) To contact and retain counsel;
(2) To have access to personal records;
(3) To file objections to the protection order;
(4) To request a hearing on the petition; and
(5) To present evidence and cross-examine witnesses at the hearing.
© 2008–2017 National Network to End Domestic Violence, Inc. All rights reserved. This website is funded in part through a grant from the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. Neither the U.S. Department of Justice nor any of its components operate, control, are responsible for, or necessarily endorse, this website (including, without limitation, its content, technical infrastructure, and policies, and any services or tools provided.