40-13-7 Law enforcement officers; emergency assistance; limited liability; providing notification to victims when an alleged perpetrator is released from detention; statement in judgment and sentence document
A. A person who allegedly has been a victim of domestic abuse may request the assistance of a local law enforcement agency.
B. A local law enforcement officer responding to the request for assistance shall be required to take whatever steps are reasonably necessary to protect the victim from further domestic abuse, including:
(1) advising the victim of the remedies available under the Family Violence Protection Act [40-13-1 NMSA 1978]; the right to file a written statement, a criminal complaint and a request for an arrest warrant; and the availability of domestic violence shelters, medical care, counseling and other services;
(2) upon the request of the victim, providing or arranging for transportation of the victim to a medical facility or place of shelter;
(3) upon the request of the victim, accompanying the victim to the victim's residence to obtain the victim's clothing and personal effects required for immediate needs and the clothing and personal effects of any children then in the care of the victim;
(4) upon the request of the victim, assist in placing the victim in possession of the dwelling or premises or otherwise assist in execution, enforcement or service of an order of protection;
(5) arresting the alleged perpetrator when appropriate and including a written statement in the attendant police report to indicate that the arrest of the alleged perpetrator was, in whole or in part, premised upon probable cause to believe that the alleged perpetrator committed domestic abuse against the victim and, when appropriate, indicate that the party arrested was the predominant aggressor; and
(6) advising the victim when appropriate of the procedure for initiating proceedings under the Family Violence Protection Act [40-13-1 NMSA 1978] or criminal proceedings and of the importance of preserving evidence.
C. The jail or detention center shall make a reasonable attempt to notify the arresting law enforcement agency or officer when the alleged perpetrator is released from custody. The arresting law enforcement agency shall make a reasonable attempt to notify the victim that the alleged perpetrator is released from custody.
D. Any law enforcement officer responding to a request for assistance under the Family Violence Protection Act [40-13-1 NMSA 1978] is immune from civil liability to the extent allowed by law. Any jail, detention center or law enforcement agency that makes a reasonable attempt to provide notification that an alleged perpetrator is released from custody is immune from civil liability to the extent allowed by law.
E. A statement shall be included in a judgment and sentence document to indicate when a conviction results from the commission of domestic abuse.