WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oregon

Housing Laws

December 5, 2023

If I stay in my apartment, can I get my locks changed?

If you choose not to leave the apartment, you can let the landlord know that you are a victim and ask the landlord to change your locks (at your expense). The landlord must quickly change the locks or give you permission to change them as long as you give the landlord a copy of the new key. You do not have to provide verification of the abuse.1 To read more about this law, see section 90.459 on our Selected Oregon Statutes page.

1 OR ST § 90.459