WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Nevada

Statutes: Nevada

View all
July 14, 2020

125C.200. Consent required from noncustodial parent to remove child from State; permission from court; change of custody

1. If primary physical custody has been established pursuant to an order, judgment or decree of a court and the custodial parent intends to relocate his or her residence to a place outside of this State or to a place within this State that is at such a distance that would substantially impair the ability of the other parent to maintain a meaningful relationship with the child, and the custodial parent desires to take the child with him or her, the custodial parent shall, before relocating:

(a) Attempt to obtain the written consent of the noncustodial parent to relocate with the child; and

(b) If the noncustodial parent refuses to give that consent, petition the court for permission to relocate with the child.

2. The court may award reasonable attorney’s fees and costs to the custodial parent if the court finds that the noncustodial parent refused to consent to the custodial parent’s relocation with the child:

(a) Without having reasonable grounds for such refusal; or

(b) For the purpose of harassing the custodial parent.

3. A parent who relocates with a child pursuant to this section without the written consent of the noncustodial parent or the permission of the court is subject to the provisions of NRS 200.359.