Legal Information: Nevada

Restraining Orders

View all
March 18, 2016

What is an order for protection against stalking and harassment? What types of orders are there?

An order for protection against stalking and harassment is a court order that tells the abuser to stop the stalking or harassing behavior among other things.  For more information on what these orders can do for you, see How can an order for protection against stalking and harassment help me?

There are two types of orders: a temporary order and an extended order.

Temporary Orders:
A temporary order for protection against stalking and harassment is an order that can be granted on the first day you file your petition in court.  The judge will decide whether or not to give you the temporary order based on the information you include in your petition as well as your testimony or any evidence you present when you are in front of the judge who is reviewing your petition.  You can get the order without the abuser being present or notified beforehand (known as an ex parte order).*  The temporary order will last up to 30 days or until your court hearing for an extended order takes place (assuming that you file a petition for an extended order within those 30 days).**

Note: Once your temporary ex parte order is served on the abuser, s/he can file legal papers to ask the court to change or drop the temporary order sooner than the scheduled hearing.  S/he has to give you only 2 days' notice of this new hearing.***

Extended Orders:
Extended orders can only be granted after the abuser has been given notice of the court hearing and a hearing takes place in which you and the abuser each have an opportunity to present evidence and tell your different sides of the story.*  You may want to have a lawyer represent you at this hearing, especially if you think the abuser will have one.  For free and paid legal services, go to our NV Finding a Lawyer page.  An extended order lasts for up to one year.****

* N.R.S. § 200.591(3)
** N.R.S. § 200.594(1)
*** N.R.S. § 200.594(2)
**** N.R.S. § 200.594(3)