WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: North Dakota

Restraining Orders

View all
March 19, 2020

How do I change, drop, or extend the order?

You must petition the court to drop or change any part of your order.

If you want to extend your domestic violence protection order, you will have to file a motion requesting that the judge extend the order.  It is best to start the process before your first order expires, or you may have to start from the beginning and repeat the steps you took to get your original order.

The clerk at the district court will have all of the necessary forms to file.  You can find this contact information on the ND Courthouse Locations page.