WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Minnesota

Housing Laws

August 5, 2020

What documents or proof do I need to give to my landlord to get out of my lease if I am a victim?

To break your lease, you must give your landlord certain documents. You will need to give your landlord:

  1. written notice that is signed and dated that states you are ending your lease; and
  2. a qualifying document that proves that you are a victim of abuse.1 See What is considered a “qualifying document”? for more information.

1 Minn. Stat. § 504B.206(1)(b)