Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
December 28, 2022

What happens if I move?

If you move within Maine, your order will still be valid and good.  Additionally, the federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.  To read more information about moving out of state, visit our Moving to Another State with a Protection from Abuse Order page for Maine.

If you are moving to a new state, you may also call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.


WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.