WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 28, 2023

Step 1 - Fill out the necessary forms.

To start your case, you will need to fill out the necessary forms. You can get the forms from the civil clerk at the District Courthouse or you can download them from our Maine Download Court Forms page. If you need to keep your address confidential, you can fill out an affidavit of confidential address form.

On the forms, you will be the “plaintiff” and the abuser will be the “defendant.”  In the box provided for explaining why you want the protection from abuse order, write about incidents of abuse, using specific language, such slapping, hitting, grabbing, threatening, etc., that fits your situation. Include details and dates, if possible. The court may not allow you to testify to any abuse that happened before the dates you list in the order so you may want to list past abuse also so that the court can see a pattern of abuse if it exists. Clerks and magistrates can show you which blanks to fill in, but they cannot help you decide what to write.1

Most domestic violence programs can provide support for you while you fill out these papers and go to court. Go to Maine Advocates and Shelters page for local organizations.

Note: Do not sign the forms until you are in front of the clerk since the complaint likely has to be notarized. 

ME ST T. 19-A § 4106(1)(A)