WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
November 28, 2023

Where can I file for a protection from abuse order?

You can file for a protection from abuse order in the district court of any division where you live permanently or temporarily or where the abuser lives.1   However, if you have left the home and want to keep the address where you are temporarily staying confidential, filing in that division would likely not be a good idea since it would alert the abuser to your location.  If you are unsure in which division you live, you may want to contact an attorney who is familiar with Maine laws.  Go to Maine Finding a Lawyer for more information.

1 ME ST T. 19-A § 4104(1)