Legal Information: Maine


View all
December 28, 2022

What if a parent violates the parental rights and responsibilities order?

If the other parent does not follow the court’s order, you can petition the court for a violation/contempt hearing. If the court finds that the other parent has violated the order, the judge can decide that the parent is “in contempt” and can add terms to the order, change the terms to make the order more specific, order make-up visitation if dates were wrongfully missed, or fine the other parent.1

1 M.R.S. 19-A § 1653(7)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.