Legal Information: Maine

Child Support

September 28, 2017

Who can get child support?

You can seek child support if you are the child’s primary caregiver and living separately from the other parent, whether you are married or unmarried. You can usually get child support until the child turns 18, or if s/he is still in high school at age 18, you can get support until the child finishes high school or turns 19, whichever happens first. The order could end before the child reaches 18 if the child gets married or joins the military.1

A child support order can be part of a parental rights and responsibilities action,2 a divorce action or its own separate action. You can also get temporary child support if you have a temporary protection from abuse order.3

1 M.R.S.A. 19-A § 1653(8),(12)
2 M.R.S.A. 19-A § 1653(2)(D)(3)
3 M.R.S.A. 19-A § 4007(1)(I)