Legal Information: Maryland

Restraining Orders

View all
May 12, 2022

Where can I file for a domestic violence protective order?

You can file for an order in any district court or circuit court in Maryland.  You can file in Maryland if the abuse happened in Maryland or if you live in Maryland (even if the abuse happened in another state).1

If the clerk’s office is open, you would file with the clerk.  If the clerk’s office is closed, you would file with a district court commissioner.2  Please visit our MD Courthouse Locations page to find courthouse contact information.

1 MD Code, Fam. Law § 4-504(a)(2)
2 See the Maryland Courts website

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.