How do I get an extreme risk protection order?
The steps to get an extreme risk protective order are similar to the steps to get a domestic violence restraining order, but you will fill out different forms.
Your petition should include:
- the facts that you believe support your request for an extreme risk protection order;
- the reason you think the respondent is at risk of causing bodily injury to himself/herself or others by having a firearm;
- the number, types, and locations of any firearms, rifles, guns, weapons, and ammunition you believe are in the respondent’s current control, ownership, or possession;
- whether there is an abuse prevention order, a harassment prevention order, or any similar type of order in another state that is in effect against the respondent; and
- whether there is a pending lawsuit, complaint, petition, or other legal action between you and the respondent.1
1 MA ST 140 § 131R(b)